About Calming the Mind: Joy of Living 1
We don’t need to look outside of the present moment to find inner peace and contentment; when experienced with awareness, everything becomes of a source of joy.
Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Registration is now closed for the winter 2018 Calming the Mind course
Please join us for our next course beginning on Wednesday, June 20
You can enter your email address below to receive a one-time reminder once registration opens on May 23
In this six-week course, we will learn how to transform all experiences, even difficult thoughts and emotions, into sources of joy. With the guidance of Tibetan meditation master Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, we will explore the landscape of our experience with mindful awareness, learning how to use the body, sensory experiences, thoughts, emotions, and even awareness itself as supports for meditation.
Each lesson includes experiential teachings by Mingyur Rinpoche, as well as guided meditations and moderated discussions with a Tergar instructor. The first three videos will be available as soon as you register.
- Course fee: $125 ($95 for repeating students/seniors/full-time students/monastics)
- Course Length: 6 Weeks
- Start Date: June 20, 2018
- Instructor: Tim Olmsted
- Assisted by: Kelly Ekman
Who can attend this course?
This course is open to everyone. This is an entry program to Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche’s wonderfully fresh and accessible teachings. It offers step-by-step instructions that will benefit those new to meditation and inspire those who have an existing practice.
What will I learn in this course?
You will learn:
- How to start a daily meditation practice, including the correct meditation posture and the ideal length of a meditation session
- How to rest in open awareness, a state of spacious and alert presence
- How to cultivate focused awareness by using visual objects, sounds, tastes, and other sense objects as a support for meditation
- How to transform physical pain, difficult emotions, and destructive thought patterns using the practice of awareness meditation
- How to deal with distractions and obstacles in meditation, such as excessive thought activity, sleepiness, and discouragement
What does the course include?
This class features:
- Weekly video teachings by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
- Course discussion forum with a Tergar Instructor
- A printable course guide and practice log
- A live Webinar event with a Tergar Instructor
About the Joy of Living Program
The Joy of Living is a path of meditation practice that can be followed by anyone, regardless of religious or cultural orientation. Meditation enables us to discover a lasting contentment that is not subject to the fluctuating conditions of the external world, and to nurture the qualities of wisdom and compassion that naturally manifest from awareness itself. Read more
About Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche
Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche is a rising star among the new generation of Tibetan Buddhist masters. With a rare ability to present the ancient wisdom of Tibet in a fresh, engaging manner, Rinpoche’s profound teachings and playful sense of humor have endeared him to students around the world. His first book, The Joy of Living: Unlocking the Secret and Science of Happiness, debuted on The New York Times bestseller list and has been translated into over twenty languages. Rinpoche teaches throughout the world, with centers on four continents. Read more
NOTE: You must register for this site, activate your account by clicking a link in your email and log-in before you can register for this course.
Not registered for Tergar Learning yet?
If you are already registered on Tergar Learning please click "login" in the upper right of the screen.