Dzogchen is considered the highest and most profound form of meditation in the Nyingma School of Tibetan Buddhism. Its teachings lay out a path of meditation that reveals the pure, nondual awareness – or rigpa – that is the mind’s true nature. Once recognized, the experience of rigpa radically transforms our experience of thoughts, emotions, perception, fundamentally changing the way we see ourselves and relate to the world.
In this Dzogchen immersion course, we will explore the view and practice of Dzogchen, from an initial overview of its unique lineage and preparatory practices, to in-depth instructions on the recognition of pure awareness and how to sustain that recognition and discover liberation.
The course will focus on a famed set of Dzogchen teachings known as The Three Words that Strike the Vital Point, perhaps the most well-known and cherished instructions on the art of recognizing pure awareness. We will explore these teachings step-by-step, exploring a range of instructions and teachings from both classical and contemporary teachers.
The Dzogchen immersion opens with welcome materials on August 15 as part of your Vajrayana Online subscription. Module 1 starts September 1, with new content released monthly until March 2021.
Mingyur Rinpoche: What is Dzogchen?
Who can take this course?
The prerequisites for joining the online Dzogchen immersion course are:
- Option 1: Attended any Tergar Path of Liberation retreat with Mingyur Rinpoche or Khenpo Kunga.
- Option 2: Received ngondro transmission and nature of mind pointing out from a qualified lineage holder, and have at least 5 years of regular meditation practice.
Questions about the prerequisites? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is included in this course?
- Weekly audio and video teachings from Mingyur Rinpoche, with video subtitles and transcripts
- Live monthly webinars with Mingyur Rinpoche, Tsoknyi Rinpoche, and Khenpo Kunga
- Interviews with leading western Dzogchen scholars and practitioners - Anne Klein, Erik Pema Kunsang, Matthieu Ricard, Marcia Schmidt, and others
- Live sessions with Tergar Instructors Cortland Dahl and Tim Olmsted
- Weekly readings on the practice of Dzogchen from a range of modern and classical lineage masters
- Optional personal practice interviews with the Tergar Instructors
- A range of resources for Dzogchen, including additional teachings, practice workbooks, and more
What topics are covered in this course?
- The Dzogchen lineage and the lives of great historical and contemporary masters
- The unique Dzogchen preparatory practices, such as the vajra stance and Dzogchen analytical meditation
- The view, meditation, and application of Trekchӧ, or “breakthrough,” one of the most important styles of Dzogchen practice
- The Dzogchen approach to pointing out rigpa, or pure, nondual awareness
- How to strengthen recognition through sky-gazing and other meditation practices
- Key points on integrating pure awareness with everyday life
Course Texts and Workbook
Four books will be referred to throughout the course. The instructors recommend that you purchase these texts in print or ebook editions:
Primordial Purity: Oral Instructions on the Three Words That Strike the Vital Point
by Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
Quintessential Dzogchen: Confusion Dawns as Wisdom by Tulku Urgyen
Perfect Clarity: A Tibetan Buddhist Anthology of Mahamudra and Dzogchen by Marcia Binder Schmidt
Vajra Heart Revisited: Teachings on the Path of Trekcho by Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche (This book will be released by the publisher in mid-September)
A course workbook will also be provided in pdf format once the course begins.
How much does it cost?
The Dzogchen Immersion and other courses in Vajrayana Online are included as part of your monthly subscription to Vajrayana Online for as long as you remain subscribed. There are prerequisites for the Dzogchen Immersion.Visit Vajrayana Online to learn more.
In order to subscribe to Vajrayana Online, you must first be a member of Tergar Learning Community.
Not registered for Tergar Learning yet?
If you are already registered on Tergar Learning please log-in